Back to vacancy listing
Business unit: Industrial Coatings
|Until further notice
|Local vacancy number:
||Number of employees needed:
||Sub Business Unit:
||Type of Shift or Duty:
||Industrial Coatings Coil Coatings
About the company
AkzoNobel is a leading global paints and coatings company and a major producer of specialty chemicals, with leading market positions and brands in countries around the world. We operate in a number of important market segments ranging from buildings and infrastructure to transport, industrial and consumer goods. We’re also the sector leader in sustainability and are number one in the renowned Dow Jones Sustainability Index. In practical terms, that means our sustainable solutions are in your lives, and those of your friends and family, every day. We’re the people that make it possible for you to do what you need to do.
Akzo Nobel Coatings Inc. has an opening at its Columbus, Ohio location for a Process Engineer.
Purpose/Key Objective of the Position:
The Process Engineer provides the interface between lab formulations and the production process. The Process Engineer troubleshoots and optimizes the manufacturing processes (equipment procedures, raw materials, formulations) to improve quality throughput, cost, efficiency and safety. This is based on actual manufacturing data and/or trails to evaluate new manufacturing equipment and/or processes. The Process Engineer is also responsible for managing capital projects, including capital justification, specification, design, construction and commissioning. This is a salaried, exempt position.
· Develop correlation between lab development processes and production processes.
· Develop and maintain scale-up procedure for the manufacturing process.
· Develops and monitors time studies for accuracy in routings and structures and corrects discrepancies.
· Utilize Six Sigma tools and lean manufacturing methodologies to improve and sustain manufacturing processes.
· Work with both lab and production equipment to establish process limitations.
· Along with lab, develop formula template reflecting actual manufacturing process.
· Review suspect formulas and provide knowledgeable recommendations for modifications if needed and work with Lab personnel to adjust formulas to reflect actual manufacturing process.
· Maintain strong communication between the Production, QC, Maintenance and Technical Departments.
· Develop and execute tasks relating to answering process questions.
· Introduce and follow “first-run” batches into production as needed.
· Provide process control input to be included on formulas, including mill flowrate, expected yield, temperature ranges and acceptable mill paste viscosity.
· Make/recommend corrections or adjustments to in-process batches, along with any lab work required to justify adjustments.
· Analyze any preventative actions which can be made to eliminate future adjustments.
· Test and recommend new process equipment (mills, mixers, test equipment, etc.)
· Contribute to the rationalization of raw materials.
· Issue reports on process engineering plans and projects.
· Assist with efforts pertaining to process improvement and re-engineering of the plant operation.
· Maintain calibration and control of manufacturing test equipment per ISO specifications.
· Use appropriate analysis tools (SPC, design of experiments, etc.) in evaluation of lab and production data.
· Recommend and implement safety improvements, including process Hazard Analysis.
· Write Appropriation Requests for capital projects.
· Manage design, installation and start-up of new equipment systems.
Job requirements / Candidate profile
· Bachelor Degree in Chemical or Industrial Engineering is required.
· At least 3 years’ experience from process industry site related Engineering work. Team leadership. Ability to manage resources. Excellent communication skills. Interpersonal skills. Attentive to detail.
· Experience in a paint, chemical or batch processing manufacturing environment a plus.
· The Process Engineer is expected to have knowledge and demonstrated use of quality tools. Ability to analyze and solve complex problems using SPC, Pareto diagrams, SWOT analysis, and cause and effect analysis. Six Sigma and Lean Manufacturing background is preferred.
· Ability to make decisions and take action consistent with current developments and trends.
· Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as be PC literate in the use of MS Excel, and MS Power Point.
· Physical demands: Must be able to access all areas of site.