Continuously innovating…finding Tomorrow’s Answers Today!
AkzoNobel has pioneered some of the world’s most innovative coatings and chemicals products. Twenty percent of all AkzoNobel R&D employees work in our Americas region where they embrace several of our core values when developing new products: courage and curiosity to question, focusing on our customers’ future first, and embracing entrepreneurial thinking.
Our employees continuously seek to find Tomorrow’s Answers Today through the development of sustainable products that have a reduced impact on the environment. Here are some of our recent innovations and achievements of which we are very proud:
- First to market an interior paint - The Freshaire ® Choice ™- that is virtually VOC-free.
- A peelable coating that can be easily removed without the use of cleaning chemicals – a more sustainable solution for the temporary coating of vehicles.
- Ingredients for personal care items, like makeup, that are free from genetically-modified raw materials, do not irritate skin or eyes and are readily biodegradable.
- Wet end management system for the largest and fastest paper machines, resulting in higher productivity, better economy and reduced environmental impact.
- A family of high solids clearcoat paints for car refinishing, based on proprietary resin technology. The latest product, Autoclear® LV Exclusive, has excellent scratch resistance and remarkable self-healing properties.
- Cool Chemistry ® roof coatings use reflective pigments to keep buildings cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, with substantial energy savings.
- Automotive spray gun that paints and cures at the same time. No warm up time, up to 25 percent less energy used during total repair.
- One of our newest packaging coatings Aqualure™ 915, is an ultra-pliable lacquer that flexes with the new lightweight beverage cans while maintaining a perfect barrier to protect the liquid inside.
- Our very latest innovation in foul release coatings for ships - Intersleek® 900. Its slippery, smooth, low-friction surface prevents organisms from attaching, thus increasing speed and reducing energy consumption.
- Developed bio-degradable ingredients to replace phosphates, resulting in ‘greener’ detergents
- Introduced a powder primer that doesn’t require curing before the topcoat is applied
- Developed a customized graphics capability for a major computer manufacturer without adding a paint line to their manufacturing process
- Created new generation additives for road-paving asphalt that can be applied at much lower temperatures, saving energy and improving conditions for workers