Our contributions to a sustainable industry
As the world’s largest coatings producer, and one of the leading suppliers of specialty chemicals, AkzoNobel plays a vital role in the global coatings and chemical industries. That leadership role brings with it a responsibility to help guide and shape our industries toward a sustainable future.
Wood Finishes & Adhesives embraces the opportunity to support the coatings industry through involvement in various local, regional and global industry associations. The objective of the primary associations – American Coatings Association, CEFIC, IPPIC to name a few – is to serve as an ally and advocate on legislative, regulatory and judicial issues; serve as an industry advocate and spokesperson before the government and public to influence matters that impact the industry; strengthen the industry's commitment to continuous improvement in health, safety, and environmental performance; and promote the industry's substantial contributions to all aspects of society.
Wood Finishes & Adhesives employees are active in various industry associations around the world. Some serve on committees, others hold positions on Boards of Directors, and some employees benefit from general membership. These associations are actively involved in a number of programs that promote the image of the coatings and chemical industries, and support their long-term sustainability. These programs include:
- community and educational outreach programs to introduce the industry and its associations to the media, consumers, government policy makers and regulators;
- science and technology programs that advance, support and quantify the science of the coatings and chemical industries;
- government affairs to coordinate the industries’ interests with various governing bodies and elected officials to educate them about issues that affect the chemical and coatings industries;
- legal affairs to advocate legal reform, track pertinent legal issues, file legal briefs, participate in public advocacy and provide legal research assistance;
- REACH- We support REACH, the pan-European legislation for the Registration, Evaluation and Authorization of Chemicals. The aim of REACH is to protect people’s health and the environment through a risk assessment of chemicals produced in the European Community;
- Responsible Care® and Coatings Care® initiatives – through the National Paint and Coatings Association, and others in the Americas region, we support these product stewardship programs as a means of continuously improving the health, safety and environmental performance of our industry.
Some of the key associations with which we are aligned include:
- ACA – American Coatings Association
- IPPIC – International Paint and Printing Ink Council
- CEFIC – European Chemical Industry Council
- SVEFF – Swedish Paint and Printing Inks Makers Association
- BCF – British Coatings Federation
- ASC – The Adhesive and Sealant Council
- CPCA – Canadian Paints and Coatings Association