Keeping surfaces separated
Coated surfaces or layers, especially those recently coated, have a tendency to stick together. When this happens, they are often ruined. Preventing this from happening is called anti-blocking. When added to coating formulations, colloidal silica gives surfaces an anti-blocking capacity for two main reasons:
- Colloidal silica makes surfaces more hydrophilic, causing more moisture to be retained by surfaces during drying, which reduces their tackiness.
- Considered small “glass particles,” colloidal silica resists high temperatures (SiO2 has a melting point of about 1650ºC) and even under high temperature particles stay discrete and do not fuse.
Colloidal silica benefits
- Increased heat resistance
- Controllable drying times
- Reduced shrinkage during drying
- Excellent water retention
- Safe handling
- Easy to use
Common industry applications
Please contact us for advice on which colloidal silica products are best for your specific industry applications.