United States, Michigan, Troy
Business unit: Automotive & Specialty Coatings
AkzoNobel is a leading global paints and coatings company and a major producer of specialty chemicals, with leading market positions and brands in countries around the world. We operate in a number of important market segments ranging from buildings and infrastructure to transport, industrial and consumer goods. We’re also the sector leader in sustainability and are number one in the renowned Dow Jones Sustainability Index. In practical terms, that means our sustainable solutions are in your lives, and those of your friends and family, every day. We’re the people that make it possible for you to do what you need to do.
AkzoNobel creates everyday essentials to make people's lives more livable and inspiring. As a leading global paints and coatings company and a major producer of specialty chemicals, we supply essential ingredients, essential protection and essential color to industries and consumers worldwide. Backed by a pioneering heritage, our innovative products and sustainable technologies are designed to meet the growing demands of our fast-changing planet, while making life easier. Headquartered in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, we have approximately 46,000 people in around 80 countries, while our portfolio includes well-known brands such as Sikkens, International, Interpon, Eka and Chemcraft.
In North America, 4,500 employees work at more than 50 locations to support the Performance Coatings and Specialty Chemicals Business Areas. Consistently ranked as a leader in sustainability, we are dedicated to energizing cities and communities while creating a protected, colorful world where life is improved by what we do.
We’re a leading supplier of performance coatings with strong product technologies and brands. Our high-quality products are used by customers across the world to protect and enhance everything from ships, cars, aircraft, yachts and architectural components (structural steel, building products, flooring) to consumer goods (mobile devices, appliances, beverage cans, furniture) and oil and gas facilities. Major brands include Awlgrip, International, Interpon and Sikkens.
Our Specialty Chemicals Business Unit delivers innovative coatings solutions to customers in the key markets of aerospace, yacht, consumer electronics and automotive original equipment manufacturer (OEM). We are the only aerospace supplier with Basecoat/Clearcoat approved at both Boeing and Airbus, and we also have a global presence in automotive. Our Yacht Coatings business has a global footprint, a strong brand, strong product performance and performs well in the professional market, lending to our reputation as a leader in innovation.
The position reports to the commercial organization through the Technical Service and Quality Assurance Manager with the responsibility to ensure that our quality management system approach affords the processes, training, tools, skills and certifications necessary to meet our customer’s requirements and drive continuous improvement throughout the region. The role is designed to provide support and facilitation across functions (commercial, operations, R&D, QC, finance, etc.) in the areas of quality certifications, audits, troubleshooting, management reviews and customer complaints through effective interface with these teams as well as customers, distributors and suppliers; proactively making recommendations/proposals for improvements and priorities when applicable.
· Champions the architecture, maintenance, document control and direction of the Quality Management System (QMS) for the Automotive Segment for Specialty Coatings NA organization (multi-site).
· Aides in the development, documentation and/or refinement of procedures and processes with functional owners and sites.
· Manages Internal Audit scheduling, execution and follow-up to identify improvement areas and advancements needed.
· Manages and provides expert knowledge in complaint handling regarding products, their performance and applications
· Responsible for the support of quality certification, customer, distributor and/or supplier audits; championing these efforts for SC sites and non-SC sites where there are market/customer specific requirements beyond the scope of the site.
· Responsible for the gathering, summarizing and analysis of data for effective Management Reviews of KPI’s including recommendations for continuous improvement areas, projects and resource focus.
· Responsible for customer complaint/claim reviews, facilitation, follow-up and corrective action effectiveness and responsiveness.
· The position may be assigned as the focal point for complaints/claims on behalf of one of the Specialty Coatings business segments (Automotive, Aerospace or Yacht).
· Resource for continuous improvement projects, initiatives and quality-related training.
· Aides commercial and operation teams with customer-specific requirements such as supplier quality portal entries, customer audits/visits, contract reviews, scorecards, surveys, complaint forms, etc.
December 31, 2099
Automotive & Specialty Coatings
Full time/part time
Job requirements/Candidate profile
· 5 years’ experience in a quality role/function; either coatings or chemical industry.
· Bachelor’s degree preferred; however a balance of education and experience would be considered
· ISO9001 Certified Internal Auditor certified at a minimum; Lead Auditor certification to ISO9001 would be beneficial along with exposure/certifications to ISO TS16949, AS9100c, ISO14001 and/or ISO17025.
· Effective communication skills, project management and facilitation in a cross-functional team environment.
· Proven troubleshooting, root cause analysis and continuous improvement skills/methodology.
· Ability to lead and motivate project teams as needed to ensure a sense of urgency and efficient/professional approach is afforded.
· Confidence and ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers.
· Proficient in computer applications – MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.) and SharePoint at a minimum.
· Experience/familiarity with Six Sigma and/or Lean Manufacturing principles beneficial.
· ISO9001 experience at a minimum; experience with Automotive and/or Aerospace industries would be beneficial.
Employment at AkzoNobel is contingent upon the successful completion of both pre-employment background checks and drug screening. All candidates hired must be able to provide proper documentation of their eligibility to work in the US.
AkzoNobel is an E-Verify Employer.
AkzoNobel is an Equal Opportunity Employer.