United States, Illinois, Waukegan
Business unit: Automotive & Specialty Coatings
AkzoNobel is a leading global paints and coatings company and a major producer of specialty chemicals, with leading market positions and brands in countries around the world. We operate in a number of important market segments ranging from buildings and infrastructure to transport, industrial and consumer goods. We’re also the sector leader in sustainability and are number one in the renowned Dow Jones Sustainability Index. In practical terms, that means our sustainable solutions are in your lives, and those of your friends and family, every day. We’re the people that make it possible for you to do what you need to do.
Perform routine, preventive and emergency repairs on building and grounds, laboratory, and manufacturing equipment to ensure on-time delivery of quality product to our valued customers and to preserve Akzo Nobel’s investment in the facility and grounds.
Analyzes mechanical, electrical and operational problems on assigned equipment, plans for and takes corrective action. Makes necessary repairs and adjustments to maintain maximum production efficiency and quality. Installs and assists with new equipment installations as needed. Troubleshoots and repairs simple electric circuits up to and including 480volts. Tests equipment operation after repairs or installations are completed and ensuring that necessary personnel are aware of equipment operational status. Continue to follow-up with customer upon completion of tasks to their satisfaction before closing out assigned work order.
Performs minor repairs on roofing systems, flooring, concrete, drywall repair and painting. Repairs, installs and replaces lighting, electrical distribution devices and wiring, process, pneumatic, and water piping (potable and fire protection). Troubleshoots and services HVAC (boilers, chillers, air-conditioning and ventilation equipment).
Performs preventive/predictive maintenance on assigned equipment by visually inspecting, greasing, testing safety switches, measuring with go-no-go gauges, recording critical information, oil analysis etc. and reporting adverse findings to the Facility Manager. To maximize equipment up-time potential problems are identified and either repaired immediately or scheduled for repairs to eliminate breakdowns during operation.
Complies with all HSE policies and reports any concerns, which may have an adverse impact on health safety and the environment. Attends monthly safety meetings, maintains a neat, clean and safe work area, works safely and requires others to work safely also. Corrects or notifies manager of unsafe conditions
Utilize SAP CMMS (computerized maintenance management software) equipment look-up and inventory functions, update work orders function, input purchase orders and the use of vendor file functions. Utilizing report data from Maintimizer, reoccurring breakdowns and excess repair costs are examined, causes identified and fixes implemented which in turn reduce equipment downtime and cost to maintain the equipment.
Adheres to site security policies, work place violence, entry procedures, weekend and evening site security policy, smoking policy etc. Performs repairs on perimeter security gates, fences, alarm switches and wiring, cameras and resets boiler and air compressor alarms. Tests fire alarm system flow switches, pull stations, deluge systems, diesel fire pump, booster pump, foam tanks and resets fire alarm system.
Building and grounds and workstation clean up and organization.
Snow removal and salting of parking lots and walkways.
Office relocation and furniture moving.
Directing outside contractors and service personnel.
Unlocking the facility perimeter gates and interior and exterior doors.
Inventory duties both maintenance stores and manufacturing.
Assists with on the job training of new employees.
Other duties as assigned
Position solves mechanical, electrical and PLC related problems. Each repair, whether mechanical or electrical goes through an analytical thought process. Starting with the most probable cause an elimination process begins and continues until the root cause is identified.
A simple task such as replacing a drive belt on a piece of equipment requires determining what if anything caused the failure. Was it due to worn or misaligned pulleys, starting the equipment without turning the speed down etc. Help is generally obtained through the operator in determining what caused the breakdown. Information such as what if anything did they notice when the breakdown occurred noises, vibrations, speed not turned down etc. Equipment manuals and drawings may further aid in pulley alignment or other possible causes listed in the troubleshooting section. Coworkers, Plant Engineers and the Facility Manager are invaluable sources of knowledge and may have encountered the same or similar experience with this equipment in the past Equipment manufacturers may also aid with possible causes, technical information etc.
Mechanics wear pagers and are on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Although the frequency of call-ins are kept to a minimum, this is a critical function in times of emergency during power outages, water main breaks, fire alarms etc. Snow removal duties require each individual to be self motivated and monitor weather conditions and when required be on site extremely early in the morning to clear the parking lots and walks of snow.
This position requires the incumbent to maintain an awareness of the relevance and importance of the above listed responsibilities and how they contribute to the achievement of quality objectives and customer satisfaction. The incumbent is expected to adhere to all rules for safety and health and to the site’s environmental policies, rules and regulations.
December 31, 2099
Automotive & Specialty Coatings
Full time/part time
Job requirements/Candidate profile
· Position requires a minimum of High School Diploma, or equivalent, vocational/military training or 5 years related experience.
· Must be computer literate on Word and Microsoft Excel.
· Must possess manual dexterity and have the ability to lift at least 55 pounds.
· Requires standing or walking most of shift.
· Job requires indoor and outdoor work in all weather conditions.
· Exposed to inherent factory conditions (heat, dust, odors, noise etc).
· Must use ladders, hoists, industrial trucks and material handling equipment.
· Must possess the ability to read and comprehend equipment repair manuals, standard operating procedures and work instructions.
· Must comprehend simple mechanical and electrical prints, drawings and schematics.
· Must be proficient in the safe use of a wide variety of hand tools, measuring devices (tape measures calipers, gauges, micrometers etc), power tools (table saw, cut off saw, bench grinders, sanders, routers etc) and electrical test equipment (volt meters, amp-meters, ohm meters, and continuity testers).
· Safely operate acetylene torches and welding and cutting machines.
· Understand the facility electrical distribution system location of transformers and disconnects, water supply distribution and shutoffs both potable and fire protection.
· Skillful in building and grounds maintenance low pressure steam, carpentry, plumbing, pipefitting and related operations involving building repair and grounds maintenance. Understand purchasing and receiving functions as it relates to the maintenance department. Must possess an understanding of the site security systems such as perimeter security alarms and boiler and air compressor alarms.
· Thoroughly understand facility evening and weekend lockdown procedures, freeze prevention procedures etc.
· Total comprehension of the fire alarm system operation is required.