United States, Illinois, Morris
Business unit: Procurement
Industries worldwide rely on our essential chemistry in the manufacture of everyday products such as paper, plastics, building materials, and personal care items. Building on the dedication of our employees and our shared commitment to safety, sustainability, and open innovation, we have established a world-class business and built strong partnerships with our customers. We operate in over 80 countries around the world and our portfolio of industry leading brands includes Eka, Dissolvine, Trigonox, and Berol.
About AkzoNobel Specialty Chemicals
AkzoNobel Specialty Chemicals is world leader in the production of essential chemistry with operations in 80 countries and over 10,000 employees. We invest approximately $120 million in RD&I every year, are #1 or #2 in 80% of our market segments, and we are ranked #1 in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index.
Here in North America, we have nearly 2,000 employees across 22 production, research and office sites, including the world’s largest fatty amines facility, located in Morris, IL. We are dedicated to providing industries worldwide with the materials they need to manufacture everyday essentials such as paper, plastics, detergents, personal care and hair styling products, as well as key ingredients for the construction, oil and gas, agricultural, mining and pharmaceutical sectors. Building on our long-standing commitment to safety, sustainability and open innovation, we have established a world-class business built on strong partnerships with our customers. The global headquarters for two of our core businesses – Surface Chemistry and Polymer Chemistry – are located in Chicago, and the region as a whole accounts for approximately one quarter of Specialty Chemicals’ annual worldwide revenue. For more information visit www.akzonobel.com/
This position sits in Morris, IL at the plant site.
The Capex Procurement Manager will perform the following activities:
- Lead and drive all procurement activities for medium and large CapEx projects throughout initiation, study phase, pre-project phase, detailed engineering and execution phase.
- Secure early involvement of procurement and take an active role in the budgeting estimation process as well as provide recommendation for project delivery models providing a holistic view of benefits or disadvantages.
- Actively participate within project team in a constructive manner to find the best solutions taking concepts such as Total Cost of Ownership and Landed cost into account as well as different constraints and requirements.
- Provide detailed knowledge of the market and supplier alternatives to the projects and provide solid recommendations by utilizing the knowledge of the regional category management team.
- Propose different solutions and provide pros and cons of different alternatives and work with project team to identity risks and constraints and come up with mitigation plans.
- Lead negotiations for medium and large projects and set up project specific contracts with suppliers including with all relevant clauses, guarantees, etc.
- Work with supplier and project members to secure timely delivery of agreed services or products.
- Manage the EPC(M) contractors on the procurement part where applicable
- Work with and be part of project teams and other stakeholder to identify total cost of ownership solutions to maximize long term asset utilization.
- Take part of the decision making process for the project delivery model offering a clear view of the benefits or disadvantages of different options making sure that the procurement view is incorporated in the agreed project strategy and final decisions.
- Work with the category managers within the region and other to identify best cost country sourcing alternatives taking landed cost into consideration
- Balance and manage sourcing constraints within the project by actively engage with stakeholders and suppliers to find the best solution
- Actively engage early in the pre-project phases to define budget, identify potential suppliers and agree on the ideal delivery model.
- Actively work to identify and mitigate risks within the project and secure a solid handover to the tactical site buying team at the point of commissioning.
- Build project procurement expertise and use as best practices within region also seeking knowledge and inspiration in the external market
- Represents the Business both inside and outside AkzoNobel; builds and maintains a network of business contacts in support of organizational objectives; conducts business in a responsible and ethical manner.
- Manage the EPC(M) contractor on the Purchasing part where applicable
- Assure procurement guidelines are implemented within project organization
- Manage supplier related risks within the project
- Member of regional NPR (Non-Product Related / Indirect Spend) Management Team
- Procurement Process owner of one of multiple projects
Level of Autonomy:
This position has a high level of autonomy but is expected to align larger decisions with key stakeholders.
Examples of Challenges:
- The main responsibility of the position holder is to secure that all procurement activities are delivered on time and at or below budgeted cost. If there is a risk that either of the two won’t be fulfilled the position holder is expected to inform the project manager
- Supplier selections should be made from the preferred supplier base. In case there is a need to deviate from the preferred base this should be aligned with the relevant category manager
- At all times, this position is expected to be well informed and well aligned with the main stakeholders of the project to ensure that the final solutions balance all requirements in a good way.
December 31, 2099
Full time/part time
Job requirements/Candidate profile
- Bachelor degree, Bachelor of Science in Engineering preferred
- Good leadership skills and ability to build and maintain teams and networks
- Ability to form and lead cross functional teams in international environment
- Strong negotiating skills and ability to influence and engage people
- Ability to communicate professionally with people at all levels of the organization and external contacts
- Highly effective with stakeholder management and capability to build strong relationship internally and externally
- Ability to analyze data and technical requirements and efficiently communicate and sell concepts to stakeholders
- Solid understanding of different project phases and key deliverables
- Ability to manage and deliver on targets and adapt solutions and strategies accordingly to reach the wanted result
- Team player mind set with the ability to navigate in complex project organizations
- Analytical skills with ability to capture total economic impact of multiple business alternatives
- Ability to manage conflicting business interests, high work pace and to manage deadlines
- Understanding and experience of cultural diversity
- Proficient with MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access
- Strong negotiating skills and ability to influence and engage people
- Minimum 7 years procurement experience, project management experience is considered a plus
- Experience working on medium to large size industrial projects in an international environment, preferred
Language Skills: Fluent in English. Additional languages are an asset.
Travel: Regular travel expected
This position sits in Morris, IL at the plant site: