United States, Texas, Houston
Business unit: Procurement
Industries worldwide rely on our essential chemistry in the manufacture of everyday products such as paper, plastics, building materials, and personal care items. Building on the dedication of our employees and our shared commitment to safety, sustainability, and open innovation, we have established a world-class business and built strong partnerships with our customers. We operate in over 80 countries around the world and our portfolio of industry leading brands includes Eka, Dissolvine, Trigonox, and Berol.
AkzoNobel Specialty Chemicals is world leader in the production of essential chemistry with operations in 80 countries and over 10,000 employees. Here in North America, our Specialty Chemicals business operates across 22 production, research and office sites in Canada, Mexico and the United States, including the world’s largest fatty amines facility, located in Morris, IL. Nearly 2,000 employees in the region are dedicated to providing industries worldwide with the materials they need to manufacture everyday essentials such as paper, plastics, detergents, personal care and hair styling products, as well as key ingredients for the construction, oil and gas, agricultural, mining and pharmaceutical sectors. Building on our long-standing commitment to safety, sustainability and open innovation, we have established a world-class business built on strong partnerships with our customers. The global headquarters for two of our core businesses – Surface Chemistry and Polymer Chemistry – is located in Chicago, and the region as a whole accounts for approximately one quarter of Specialty Chemicals’ annual worldwide revenue. For more information visit www.akzonobel.com/specialtychemicals.
This job posting is for the following positions which can be based at various US site locations - as part of the application process, you will be asked to provide your preferred position(s).
Key Objectives of the job:
- Develop and implement sourcing strategies for the assigned categories (product and services) designed to support the identified business needs in line with the Global Procurement strategy and the SSM methodology
- Responsible to source products and services for one or several NPR (Non-Product Related Purchasing / Indirect Spend) Procurement categories within the region and optimize commercial terms and total cost of ownership.
- Actively engage with key stakeholders from different Business Units to gather business requirements and specifications within the region and incorporate into sourcing strategies, supplier selections and decisions.
- Select, drive and develop suppliers in line with organizational business requirements and track supplier performance on a continuous basis in collaboration with the tactical procurement team in the region as well as key stakeholders at the sites.
- Monitor the external market to explore new business models and innovation, identify potential new suppliers, assess best country sourcing alternatives and industry best practices and consequently build up deep expertise around the products and services within scope.
- Continuously seek out and identify ways of taking out cost (based on TCO approach) to meet individual and team targets as well as working with stakeholders to lower and optimize spending on NPR. In addition the position holder is expected to balance cost with quality improvements and supply reliability to the sites by consolidating and raising the performance of the supplier base.
- Working closely with stakeholders will be a key to align technical and commercial requirements and secure total cost of ownership solutions and secure long term partnership with key suppliers.
- Support and secure a strong collaboration between functions within the Regional NPR leadership team and balance activities between BUs and sites.
Develops and implements sourcing strategies for product and services designed to support the identified business needs and in line with the Global Procurement strategy following the SSM methodology.
- Builds and maintains competitive contacts with suppliers to secure total cost of ownership solutions. Leads value engineering and other cost reduction activity both cross functionally and across businesses and sites to identity and capture synergies.
- Develops plans for the short-term and long-term security of supply. Identifies alternative suppliers and products for innovation, improved sustainability, cost reduction and in support of business strategy in coordination with Supply Chain and R&D.
- Responsible for the collection and interpretation of market data and intelligence that impacts the categories that are under direct responsibility. Becomes the “go to” person for assigned spend within the region and stimulates cross business cooperation.
- Works with tactical sites buyers, and procurement manager to implement contracts, supplier changes and projects and is responsible to secure a strong collaboration and link between tactical and strategic procurement across the region
- Maintains a close collaboration with the Capex Procurement Project Manager in the region and provides sourcing recommendation for large and mid-sized capex project acting as a category expert
- Takes an active role in the global category network to align decisions and activities around common suppliers with category managers from other regions to manage and coordinate the business relationship
- Represents the Business both inside and outside AkzoNobel; builds and maintains a network of business contacts in support of organizational objectives; conducts business in a responsible and ethical manner.
- Member of regional NPR Management Team
- Member/leader of a global category network
- Owner of category strategy and supplier relationships
Level of Autonomy:
This position has a high level of autonomy but is expected to align larger decisions or critical supplier changes with the direct manager and key stakeholders.
Example of Challenges:
- The position holder will face a high level of complexity and diversity in the categories and supplier base due to the past decentralized business strategy. Hence a critical element of the job will be to align stakeholders and get buy in to drive standardization and consolidation of suppliers, products and services.
- The candidate is also expected to select and develop a supplier base that can successfully support the current operations as well as future projects and balance different business needs and requirements effectively.
December 31, 2099
Full time/part time
Job requirements/Candidate profile
- Bachelor or Masters Degree, in a business related area or industry
- Extensive negotiation experience and ability to influence people and selling concepts and ideas
- Advanced strategic thinking skills with ability to analyze data, understand interdependencies and develop strategies at a regional or global category level.
- Ability to communicate professionally with people at all levels of the organization
- Excellent relationship builder and skilled at manage external contacts
- Comprehensive experience of working with international sourcing across regions in high complexity environment
- Strong sense of accountability and ownership with a high level of autonomy to develop spend and cost reduction projects and execute on those together with stakeholders and other procurement members
- Willingness to work with personal cost targets and having the ability to develop and change strategy and apply various tools and actions to reach targets
- Highly effective with stakeholder management and capability to build strong relationship internally and externally
- Good presentation skills and ability to analyze data and technical requirements from different angles
- Analytical mind set and problem solving skills
- Proficient with MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access
- Minimum 5 years procurement experience of strategic procurement and category management, leadership experience is a plus
Language Skills: Fluent in English. Additional languages are an asset.
Travel: Regular travel expected
Employment at AkzoNobel is contingent upon the successful completion of both a pre-employment background check and a drug screening. In some case, pre-employment physicals may also be required.
All candidates hired must be able to provide proper documentation of their eligibility to work in the US.
AkzoNobel is an E-Verify Employer.
AkzoNobel is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans (M/F/D/V)