United States, North Carolina, High Point
Business unit: Paints and Coatings
AkzoNobel has a passion for paint. We’re experts in the proud craft of making paints and coatings, setting the standard in color and protection since 1792. Our world class portfolio of brands – including Dulux, International, Sikkens and Interpon – is trusted by customers around the globe. Headquartered in the Netherlands, we operate in over 80 countries and employ around 35,000 talented people who are passionate about delivering the high performance products and services our customers expect. For more information please visit www.akzonobel.com.
The solutions chemist role supports the regional goals of the business as directed by research and development management. Duties include, but are not limited to, (a) incremental and new product or process development, (b) performing necessary physical, chemical, and analytical property testing, (c) managing long term develop projects, and (d) working with marketing and sales staff on new product development and launches. Persons in this role may occasionally be tasked with identifying root cause of product field performance problems. Persons in this role will be expected to travel to other domestic or international AkzoNobel or customer sites as needed to support the global goals of the business.
Key Behaviors and Accountabilities
- Driven toward innovation and continuous improvement
- Excels in and enjoys complex problem solving
- Challenges conventional thinking
- Delivers on commitments
- Inquiring mind focused on development (personal, professional, and product)
- Takes full ownership of assigned projects
- Relishes learning and approaches each day as an opportunity to learn and grow
- Cooperative personality with a penchant for team membership and collective goal attainment
- Must follow all established safety rules and procedures
- Demonstrates integrity while performing duties as per company’s Code of Conduct
- Receives and reviews assigned projects
- Conducts approved laboratory procedures to accomplish project goals
- Performs laboratory analyses on a wide range of products and materials.
- Designs experiments to characterize the chemical and physical properties of materials
- Conducts experiments to improve upon or to duplicate various materials and substances
- Interprets requests, specifications, and performance and compliance issues and applies them to lab work assignments in a complete and accurate manner.
- Engages in research to develop new methods of processing or production.
- Records results and write reports for management review.
- Analyzes findings and compile reports regarding procedures and results.
- Runs pilot tests for product improvement or development.
- Communicates project progress to process and work owners.
- Adjusts work procedures to meet the management team’s requirements.
- Cooperates with all levels of management with respect to lab work assignments and field problems.
- Performs domestic travel as needed
- Recommends measures to improve product development methods, product support, and quality of product.
- Suggests changes in working conditions and use of labor saving techniques to increase lab efficiency.
- Analyzes and resolves work problems and assists co-workers in solving work problems.
- Maintains accurate and complete lab workbook, formula, and lab worksheet records.
- Enters accurate and complete formula information into the computer system as required by company policies.
- Maintains the assigned work area(s) in a clean, orderly and safe manner.
- Confers with supervisor to coordinate activities of the department
December 31, 2099
Paints and Coatings
Full time/part time
Job requirements/Candidate profile
Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from a four-year college or university, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Functional Skills / Knowledge
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential qualification satisfactorily.
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow safety instructions and safety guidelines
- Must have effective interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to multi-task and balance priorities
- The employee must use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk and hear
- Ability to work assigned schedule; overtime may be required
- Dedicated and committed safety leadership and presence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand and walk
- Must be able to stand or walk for long periods of time
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations