United States, Pennsylvania, Flying Hills
Business unit: RD Technical
AkzoNobel is a leading global paints and coatings company and a major producer of specialty chemicals, with leading market positions and brands in countries around the world. We operate in a number of important market segments ranging from buildings and infrastructure to transport, industrial and consumer goods. We’re also the sector leader in sustainability and are number one in the renowned Dow Jones Sustainability Index. In practical terms, that means our sustainable solutions are in your lives, and those of your friends and family, every day. We’re the people that make it possible for you to do what you need to do.
AkzoNobel has a passion for paint. We’re experts in the proud craft of making paints and coatings, setting the standard in color and protection since 1792. Our world class portfolio of brands – including Dulux, International, Sikkens and Interpon – is trusted by customers around the globe. Headquartered in the Netherlands, we operate in over 80 countries and employ around 35,000 talented people who are passionate about delivering the high performance products and services our customers expect.
In North America, 4,500 employees work at more than 50 locations to support the Performance Coatings and Specialty Chemicals Business Areas. Consistently ranked as a leader in sustainability, we are dedicated to energizing cities and communities while creating a protected, colorful world where life is improved by what we do.
Job Context and Purpose
Under direct supervision the position is responsible for undertaking R&D projects which are primarily aimed at the development and commercialization of new products and technologies mainly for the U.S. business as well as the worldwide business, as applicable. He/she also supports the introduction of new products to customers and supports the manufacture of these products Position must constructively interact with all other U.S. and worldwide personnel to facilitate a well-run organization.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Under direct guidance, undertakes R&D development projects including formulation, powder preparation, spraying, testing, and evaluation of powder coatings to meet specific project requirements. .
- Under direct guidance, formulates and manipulate standard powder coatings technologies and product platforms.
- Under direct guidance, able to develop and implement new and novel powder coating technologies.
- Under direct guidance, visits customer facilities to supervise trial runs of new products, trouble-shoot products on line, and to make formal presentations to customers.
- Under close guidance, visits to production facilities to support and troubleshoot the manufacture of products.
- Understands AkzoNobel Intellectual Property and takes proper actions to protect it.
- Under close guidance, meets with Suppliers to support project development.
- Maintains a clean and orderly workplace through 5S discipline.
- Promotes the quality system through adhering to the elements of and being familiar with the philosophy, quality statement, quality manual, and procedures.
- Promotes health, safety and environmental regulations by ensuring that standards, policies, and procedures are adhered to in compliance with corporate, federal, state, and local requirements.
- Completes laboratory notebooks, technology/formulation databases, formula cards, and technical graphs, tables, and reports.
- Writes customer or supplier visit reports and other R&D reports.
- Performs other duties as required for the success of Akzo Nobel Coatings Inc.
December 31, 2099
Research, Development & Innovation
Full time/part time
Job requirements/Candidate profile
- Bachelor of Science degree in science-related area or 5 years experience in coatings science and technology.
- Understanding of powder coatings chemistries and raw materials, powder application, and powder manufacturing.
- Must have a good understanding of the US (preferably global) powder coatings market. Understanding of AkzoNobel Powder and AkzoNobel generally.
- Must have the ability to adapt to rapidly changing priorities and deadlines.
- Must have very good oral and written communication skills and must be able to effectively present information to colleagues, customers, and suppliers. This includes formal presentations.
- Must be computer literate in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Must have the ability to complete requests in a timely manner.
- Must be able and willing to travel.
As a leading coatings and specialty chemical company AkzoNobel is proud to offer a competitive compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, dental and vision coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement and much more.
Employment at AkzoNobel is contingent upon the successful completion of both pre-employment background checks and drug screening. All candidates hired must be able to provide proper documentation of their eligibility to work in the US.
AkzoNobel is an E-Verify Employer.
AkzoNobel is an Equal Opportunity Employer -Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans (M/F/D/V).