United States, Illinois, Morris
Business unit: AMPE
Industries worldwide rely on our essential chemistry in the manufacture of everyday products such as paper, plastics, building materials, and personal care items. Building on the dedication of our employees and our shared commitment to safety, sustainability, and open innovation, we have established a world-class business and built strong partnerships with our customers. We operate in over 80 countries around the world and our portfolio of industry leading brands includes Eka, Dissolvine, Trigonox, and Berol.
AkzoNobel Specialty Chemicals currently has an opening for a Project Manager at our Morris, IL location. This position is part of the Projects & Engineering (P&E) unit of AkzoNobel Specialty Chemicals which provides engineering and manufacturing support to AkzoNobel’s Specialty Chemical businesses.
Projects & Engineering is AkzoNobel Specialty Chemicals’s center of excellence in the field of project management and engineering. By delivering investment projects and optimizing current operations that secure AkzoNobel’s HSE&S and eco- efficiency performance we create business value for AkzoNobel Specialty Chemicals and selected external customers.
Besides your own USA based team your work will include contacts and cooperation with approximately 180 highly skilled technical P&E professionals who work from our offices in Brazil, China, India, the Netherlands and Sweden.
At Projects & Engineering you will get the opportunity to further develop your talents and skills and contribute to continuously improve our organization and services.
The Project Manager reports to the Project Manager Team Lead. The Project Manager role will be responsible for installing and leading either multi-disciplined projects ($1M-$10M) or lead single discipline projects with higher complexities based on defined scope, HSE requirements, and level of quality, budget and timeline for the project. They will lead the project team through all relevant phases of the project ensuring efficient and effective work processes (following company approved processes), in accordance with HSE, financial, legal and other regulatory requirements. Lastly, they will maintain internal/international standards and other guidelines while keeping the project within budget, on time with the optimum level of quality and ensuring the reliability, quality, safety, sustainability and efficiency of the project.
No of Indirect Reports : 1-5 Lead Engineer, Electrical, Process, or Mechanical Engineer, Project Engineer
1. Project initiation – (5%)
2. Project plan – (10%)
3. Project execution– (40%)
4. Project delivery & closure– (10%)
5. Relations Management – (10%)
6. Project information – (5%)
7. People Management (15%)– Manage and develop direct reports
8. Negotiations(5 %)
9. Other(where applicable) –
1. Project initiation – Identify and analyze business needs, stakeholders and linkages to other projects and define project scope and objectives
Result: Project scope and objectives are clear, attainable and approved
2.Project plan – Formulate the project plan, determine budget and required resources, clarify role and involvement level of team members and acquire approval
Result: Project plan, budget and required resources are approved
3.Project execution – Coordinate, monitor and drive project activities, manage project risks, issues, changes and resources and take corrective actions when necessary
Result: Timely delivery of milestones
4.Project delivery & closure – Evaluate and close project, identify and analyze lessons learned, archive project documents and hand over project to customer and/or line management
Result: Completion of project objectives, realization of deliverables, continuous improvement of project management skills and acceptance of end product by customer
5.Relations Management – Build, maintain and utilize a network of in- and external stakeholders/partners and represent the project within the organization
Result: Network is sustainable and accessible and contributes to project success
6.Project information – Provide insights regarding quantitative and qualitative developments by means of periodical and ad hoc reports and/or analyses to the project leader and the project Steer Co.
Result: Project information enables management and/or other stakeholders to make (timely) decisions and determines or adjust project plan
7.People Management and Development (where applicable) – Attract, (functionally) lead, coach, appraise and develop employees, ensure staffing and stimulate talent(management)
Result: Project team is engaged, deployable (quantitative and qualitative) and capable of realizing the (department/team) objectives
8.Negotiations (where applicable) – Negotiate with internal and/or external parties, acquire approval and/or close contracts/SLA’s and monitor compliance with contracts/SLA’s
Result: Services of internal and/or external parties against reasonable quality and price
Level III: Overall project budget of €10-30 mio of which project management &engineering costs account for € 1-3 mio
Level III: Manages the relation with multiple (groups of) stakeholders on tactical level and manages opposite interests
Level III: Leads significant or complex projects with medium risks and using innovative techniques
Level III: Leads large mono-disciplinary projects or small multidisciplinary projects involving multiple parties
Level III: Defines scope and activities of projects, ensures execution and manages uncertainties
Level III: Manages medium complex and hazardous projects with medium potential impact on performance or image of AkzoNobel
December 31, 2099
Full time/part time
Job requirements/Candidate profile
- Bachelor, master or doctorate level qualification in engineering or related disciplines.
- 7-10 years of prior project management experience in successfully leading projects through full cycle completion.
- At least 5 years project management experience in the in the process industry (Chemicals, Oil & Gas or Pharmaceuticals)
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary project teams and handling multiple concurrent projects;
- Proven (project, people) management capabilities;
- Strong strategic and conceptual skills with ability to execute and follow through;
- Ability to drive continuous improvement of the processes, policies, standards;
- Able to work in an inclusive way in the Engineering community to make sure the business experiences ‘one voice’ and the teams collective objectives are met;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, influencing, entrepreneurship, result oriented, negotiation, problem solving, content experience;
- Very good verbal and written English language skills;
- Relevant experience in different multiple units, disciplines, locations (cultures) and/or other companies.
- Broad and specialized knowledge of the AkzoNobel Engineering functional role and Engineering management systems and programs, as well as external benchmarks.