United States, Illinois, Chicago
Business unit: Paints and Coatings
AkzoNobel has a passion for paint. We’re experts in the proud craft of making paints and coatings, setting the standard in color and protection since 1792. Our world class portfolio of brands – including Dulux, International, Sikkens and Interpon – is trusted by customers around the globe. Headquartered in the Netherlands, we operate in over 80 countries and employ around 35,000 talented people who are passionate about delivering the high performance products and services our customers expect. For more information please visit www.akzonobel.com.
About the company
AkzoNobel has a passion for paint. We’re experts in the proud craft of making paints and coatings, setting the standard in color and protection since 1792. Our world class portfolio of brands – including Dulux, International, Sikkens and Interpon – is trusted by customers around the globe. Headquartered in the Netherlands, we operate in over 80 countries and employ around 35,000 talented people who are passionate about delivering the high performance products and services our customers expect. The sale of our Specialty Chemicals business is expected to be completed by the end of 2018. For more information please visit www.akzonobel.com.
In North America, 4,500 employees work at more than 50 locations to support the Performance Coatings and Specialty Chemicals Business Areas. Consistently ranked as a leader in sustainability, we are dedicated to energizing cities and communities while creating a protected, colorful world where life is improved by what we do.
Discover the opportunity to join an international, dynamic, and responsible company that fosters the development of our people around the world. We want to be the best – to use our leading market positions to deliver a leading performance – and for that, we need YOU! Find out how our values make AkzoNobel the employer of choice.
AkzoNobel has an outstanding opportunity for an Architectural Specifications Sales Representative. This position will support our Powder and Metal Coatings division.
This is a remote position with the ideal candidate being based out of a major metro area in the mid-west United States.
Key Objectives of the Job
Under limited direct Sales Manager supervision, in a fast paced environment, Sales Specialist manages / coordinates activities, projects, and assigned product lines to meet overall business revenue, income and growth objectives for the Architectural Segment for Powder and Metal coatings’ NA RSMUs.
Position will manage and report all commercial activity for assigned activities and projects– strategy & tactics implementation including specifier target development & selling /approval process execution, sales target definition, selling support and sales tool development, SS/TS lab project priorities, competitor analysis, and any global coordination as necessary and assigned.
• Meets budget, growth, and profitability objectives for assignments.
• Serves as primary specifier seller for Powder and Metals SMU.
• Utilizes and follows AkzoNobel marketing & pricing protocols and tools.
• Administers / executes / maintains segment(s) specified product and job approval listings.
• Overall meets established productivity and safety standards for AkzoNobel Americas.
• Coordinates / manages trade show exhibitions and sales support tools & literature for segment(s) and/or assigned product lines.
• Coordinates activities with Global / Regional Marketing as necessary.
• Portfolio Management. Fully incorporates information and knowledge management tools and systems into the work.
Originates commercial opportunities based upon getting architect, OEM or other approvals and leads them through a thorough assessment process and through successful sales closure.
• Active contributor to development of platforms for multiple product developments based upon combinations of technologies and marketplace / specifier needs. Develops complete economic models for AkzoNobel products, including development, capital, and manufacturing costs, revenue / income & NPV. Provides well considered market input for strategic business decisions and Portfolio Management. Fully incorporates information and knowledge management tools and systems into the work.
• Outside-in View: Customer/Industry Knowledge: Becomes a broadly recognized expert in the relevant market segment(s) and is up-to-date on industry trends and market and customer needs going forward. Is sought out for advice and opinion in these subjects. Works with R&D (regional & global) to provide technical marketing input for both early and late stages of product development.
• Project Management: Plans entire product line approval programs and provides the necessary leadership to successfully implement and drive the program to a successful conclusion. Fits objectives together for multiple projects within a program to achieve overall program goals. Coordinates program activities to optimize timing, efficiency of start up and quality of results.
• Technology Protection: Executes strategy to protect a technology/product area. Proficiently uses patent analysis tools to maintain expert understand of a technology/market area.
• Communication: Effectively communicates verbally and in writing to upper management on all aspects of program activity. Coaches others on effective communication.
• Customers/Suppliers: Is considered a key partner by specifiers. Provides customer-trusted service and support for products, processes, and markets within areas of expertise.
• Networking/Technology Transfer: Develops effective external networks in both market and industrial circles and effectively uses established internal networks to advance programs. Participates in and sometimes leads outside committees, panels, etc. in industry trade organizations, government agencies, and/or learned societies. Is sought for and provides internal consultations whenever needed. Is aware of needs of others for knowledge and know-how he/she possesses and proactively provides such.
• Supervisory: Serves as resource to provide coaching in basic business skills where appropriate, advanced coaching of business skills (presentation, marketing, interpersonal, etc.). From their best practices, they model behaviour to influence others to improve work practices through use of enabling technologies such as information management.
• Department Support: Represents department and business unit in corporate initiatives.
• EHS: Maintains a high level of safety awareness at the program level and is an active voice for improving EHS issues related to all operations at the department level.
December 31, 2099
Paints and Coatings
Full time/part time
Job requirements/Candidate profile
• High school diploma; Bachelor’s degree preferred. Degree in Chemistry, Engineering, Architecture or related field are a plus.
• Minimum 3-5 years specifications sales experience or 3-5 years of sales experience in the architectural or coatings industry.
• Prior experience meeting and/or exceeding sales goals.
• Strong communications skills; oral/written, presentations, public speaking and one to one negotiations.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, driven, self-starter and work independently.
• Able to travel sporadically, 30%-50% depending on projects. Company car, mobile phone, and expense account provided.
• Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
• SAP and CRM experience are a plus.
• Must possess a valid Driver's License, and a valid passport or the ability to get one.
As a leading coatings and specialty chemical company AkzoNobel is proud to offer a competitive compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, dental and vision coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement and much more.
Employment at AkzoNobel is contingent upon the successful completion of both pre-employment background checks and drug screening. All candidates hired must be able to provide proper documentation of their eligibility to work in the US.
AkzoNobel is an E-Verify Employer.
AkzoNobel is an Equal Opportunity Employer.