United States, Illinois, Morris
Business unit: Surface Chemistry Operations
Industries worldwide rely on our essential chemistry in the manufacture of everyday products such as paper, plastics, building materials, and personal care items. Building on the dedication of our employees and our shared commitment to safety, sustainability, and open innovation, we have established a world-class business and built strong partnerships with our customers. We operate in over 80 countries around the world and our portfolio of industry leading brands includes Eka, Dissolvine, Trigonox, and Berol.
About AkzoNobel Specialty Chemicals
AkzoNobel Specialty Chemicals is world leader in the production of essential chemistry with operations in 80 countries and over 10,000 employees. We invest approximately $120 million in RD&I every year, rank #1 in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index, and are number 1 or 2 in 80% of our market segments.
Here in North America, we have nearly 2,000 employees across 22 production, research and office sites, including the world’s largest fatty amines facility, located in Morris, IL. We are dedicated to providing industries worldwide with the materials they need to manufacture everyday essentials such as paper, plastics, detergents, personal care and hair styling products, as well as key ingredients for the construction, oil and gas, agricultural, mining and pharmaceutical sectors. Building on our long-standing commitment to safety, sustainability and open innovation, we have established a world-class business built on strong partnerships with our customers. The global headquarters for two of our core businesses – Surface Chemistry and Polymer Chemistry – are located in Chicago, and the region as a whole accounts for approximately one quarter of Specialty Chemicals’ annual worldwide revenue.
Our Surface Chemistry Business Unit is one of the world’s leading specialty chemical manufacturers of surfactants, polymers and solvents, providing innovative surface chemistry technologies and solutions in industries such as agro, asphalt, cleaning, fabric care, mining, personal care and petroleum. For more information visit www.sc.akzonobel.com
The holder of the position will be supporting site management with identifying competency gaps in the
organization based on regulatory requirements, as well as site operational needs and the site and company’s strategy and long term objectives. The holder of the position is responsible for filling those gaps by assessment, design, and implementation of technical, compliance and other training curricula, programs, initiatives and activities. The overall objective is to enhance knowledge and skills of operations employees and to maximize staff performance in line with site and company strategy. Training initiatives will focus mainly on the hourly workforce with HSE-related training including regulatory compliance and technical related training to operate units and equipment safely and efficiently. The holder of the position will work closely with Project Managers and Area Leaders to assist with developing training materials for new projects, and to deliver that training. Any other
improvement work as needed.
Key Objectives/Principal Accountabilities
• Develop, organize and deliver Morris training programs including New Employee Orientation, to support HSE compliance and functional skills; employee development activities; develop and facilitate job specific programs to enhance performance and productivity improvements; monitor effectiveness of programs.
• Manage Training (work) processes and systems/rules/procedures for Site Morris. Evaluate training programs, (work) processes and systems and initiate and implement changes and improvements demonstrating Training Excellence ability.
• Continuously improve the training process, procedures and tools to meet future competency demands in line with Site and Corporate related strategies and objectives, as well as regulatory industry requirements.
• Identify knowledge/skill gaps and conduct needs analysis to define training needs within Operations and create live instructor and/or technology based training solutions.
• Work with Subject Matter Experts (both internal and external) to design training programs and insure course objectives are directly associated with course content, job requirements, job accountabilities and certification exams.
• Work with Project Leaders and Area Leaders to design training programs and insure course objectives are directly associated with course content, job requirements, job accountabilities and certification exams for new projects and equipment.
• Develop, implement and maintain a training certification program; develop and maintain certification exams for identified job roles; develop and implement a measurement plan to evaluate the impact and effectiveness of the training certification program.
• Maintain records of all training programs/participants with related personnel information; provide special reports when required.
• Remain current on developments in training and learning technologies and implement as needed.
December 31, 2099
Surface Chemistry Operations
Full time/part time
Job requirements/Candidate profile
• Five years of experience in a manufacturing environment supporting production or engineering.
• Experience from process industry, ISO certification and regulatory requirements, e.g. OSHA, EPA, DOT a strong plus.
• Must have passion for training and excellent ability to develop people to their maximum capability.
• Must have excellent HSE competency, excellent interpersonal skills, excellent organization skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills, excellent presentation skills and participative management style.
• Must be able to understand technical and chemical manufacturing concepts.
• Excellent ability to choose training style (instruct, coach, support).
• Ability to work independently and with minimum direction.
• Very good PC skills including MS Office.
• Ability to develop training material and validation systems, ability to work effectively across all levels of the organization.
• Ability to work flexible hours to meet Operations needs and timelines.
• Very high integrity level.