United States, Ohio, Strongsville
Business unit: RD Technical
AkzoNobel is a leading global paints and coatings company and a major producer of specialty chemicals, with leading market positions and brands in countries around the world. We operate in a number of important market segments ranging from buildings and infrastructure to transport, industrial and consumer goods. We’re also the sector leader in sustainability and are number one in the renowned Dow Jones Sustainability Index. In practical terms, that means our sustainable solutions are in your lives, and those of your friends and family, every day. We’re the people that make it possible for you to do what you need to do.
Purpose/Key Objective of the Position:
A Technician in the New Product Development Group is responsible for coatings’ technology sold into the coil and extrusion marketplaces which can include curtain walls, architectural aluminum, metal building, appliance, HVAC, steel door and transportation markets, among others. As a Technician in R&D, you will be responsible for completing assigned projects while promoting a safe work environment.
The Technician’s responsibilities include preparation, application and evaluation of lab batches. This includes understanding formulation fundamentals, testing of samples, analysis of sample data, and other duties satisfying the needs of both internal and external customers. The candidate chosen will be an integral part of the New Product Development team in Strongsville. In this team the Technician will maintain and improve existing and future products. Effective interaction with both the lab and production site in Columbus is also vital. The technician’s responsibilities in these longer term projects will result in launching new and valuable products to the coil and extrusion markets.
A Technician must be highly organized, self-motivated and able to work independently on multiple projects when given clear and distinct instruction. Strong written and oral communication skills are necessary including keeping up-to-date, detailed records on all work underway. A successful candidate has a need to seek and understand coatings fundamentals, including troubleshooting and root cause analysis.
A Technician needs solid computer skills including working with web-based applications, such as our laboratory work request system and with a wide variety of software, such as the MS Office Suite, and especially data analysis software.
This is a salaried, exempt position.
December 31, 2099
Full time/part time
Job requirements/Candidate profile
1. Adherence with all site and laboratory safety requirements, policies, and procedures in compliance with corporate, federal, state, and local requirements.
2. Support work directed by a Chemist
3. Utilize and maintain all test equipment necessary for sample evaluation
4. Maintain all documents associated with the duties of a Technician
5. Support Laboratory 6 Sigma, 5S and Process management efforts when required
6. Participate in a variety of interdepartmental groups
7. Create, support, and distribute reports
1. A degree in Physical or Biological Science, or 5+ years work experience in chemistry or coatings industry
2. Must demonstrate proficiency in basic algebra and mathematics.
3. Must demonstrate ability to communicate in both written and spoken English.
4. Proficiency in MS Office Applications (preferred)
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry and/or Coatings or Polymer Science
2. Basic formulating knowledge and lab work experience
3. Coil coating or paint experience
4. Proven record of organization and efficiency