United States, Ohio, Strongsville
Business unit: RD Technical
AkzoNobel has a passion for paint. We’re experts in the proud craft of making paints and coatings, setting the standard in color and protection since 1792. Our world class portfolio of brands – including Dulux, International, Sikkens and Interpon – is trusted by customers around the globe. Headquartered in the Netherlands, we operate in over 80 countries and employ around 35,000 talented people who are passionate about delivering the high performance products and services our customers expect. For more information please visit www.akzonobel.com.
Purpose/Key Objective of the Position:
A Technician in the New Product Development Group is responsible for coatings’ technology sold into the coil and extrusion marketplaces which can include curtain walls, architectural aluminum, metal building, appliance, HVAC, steel door and transportation markets, among others. As a Technician in R&D, you will be responsible for completing assigned projects while promoting a safe work environment.
The Technician’s responsibilities include preparation, application and evaluation of lab batches. This includes understanding formulation fundamentals, testing of samples, analysis of sample data, and other duties satisfying the needs of both internal and external customers. The candidate chosen will be an integral part of the New Product Development team in Strongsville. In this team the Technician will maintain and improve existing and future products. Effective interaction with both the lab and production site in Columbus is also vital. The technician’s responsibilities in these longer term projects will result in launching new and valuable products to the coil and extrusion markets.
A Technician must be highly organized, self-motivated and able to work independently on multiple projects when given clear and distinct instruction. Strong written and oral communication skills are necessary including keeping up-to-date, detailed records on all work underway. A successful candidate has a need to seek and understand coatings fundamentals, including troubleshooting and root cause analysis.
A Technician needs solid computer skills including working with web-based applications, such as our laboratory work request system and with a wide variety of software, such as the MS Office Suite, and especially data analysis software.
This is a salaried, exempt position.
December 31, 2099
Full time/part time
Job requirements/Candidate profile
1. Adherence with all site and laboratory safety requirements, policies, and procedures in compliance with corporate, federal, state, and local requirements.
2. Support work directed by a Chemist
3. Utilize and maintain all test equipment necessary for sample evaluation
4. Maintain all documents associated with the duties of a Technician
5. Support Laboratory 6 Sigma, 5S and Process management efforts when required
6. Participate in a variety of interdepartmental groups
7. Create, support, and distribute reports
1. A degree in Physical or Biological Science, or 5+ years work experience in chemistry or coatings industry
2. Must demonstrate proficiency in basic algebra and mathematics.
3. Must demonstrate ability to communicate in both written and spoken English.
4. Proficiency in MS Office Applications (preferred)
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry and/or Coatings or Polymer Science
2. Basic formulating knowledge and lab work experience
3. Coil coating or paint experience
4. Proven record of organization and efficiency