United States, Michigan, Troy
Business unit: Paints and Coatings
AkzoNobel has a passion for paint. We’re experts in the proud craft of making paints and coatings, setting the standard in color and protection since 1792. Our world class portfolio of brands – including Dulux, International, Sikkens and Interpon – is trusted by customers around the globe. Headquartered in the Netherlands, we operate in over 80 countries and employ around 35,000 talented people who are passionate about delivering the high performance products and services our customers expect. For more information please visit www.akzonobel.com.
In North America, 4,500 employees work at more than 50 locations to support the Performance Coatings and Specialty Chemicals Business Areas. Consistently ranked as a leader in sustainability, we are dedicated to energizing cities and communities while creating a protected, colorful world where life is improved by what we do.
Evaluate, select, and apply standard scientific techniques, processes, and criteria in the development, adaptation, and modification of new and existing products and technologies. This position represents significant professional work knowledge and experience.
- Conduct research and development of new products, new technologies, and updates of existing products using innovative ideas, materials, and test methods.
- Knowledgeable of materials, products, and technologies commonly encountered within the business area.
- Ensure robustness in all phases of research and development through the use of accepted techniques including DOE, FMEA, SPC, and others as required.
- Provide training and supervision for Technicians by identifying development needs, mentoring, and planning/scheduling activities such as experiments and projects.
- Provide technical assistance and support to Production, Sales, and Marketing in support of product scale-up, quality control, application testing, and other cross-functional activities.
- Know and observe company and location health and safety requirements.
- Maintains detailed technical records in the form of a Laboratory Notebook and Databases.
- Provide progress reports, monthly and quarterly reports, technical plans, and project summaries to ensure appropriate communication of project status and needs.
- Maintain and develop professional contacts including company personnel, vendors, and customers.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment in accordance of company safety rules to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local environments and safety regulations.
- Oversee specific functions and/or locations, as required.
- Travel requirements are light, typically 0-4 trips annually.
- Participate in Special Teams including safety, HSE, housekeeping, and others as required.
- Performs additional duties as assigned and required.
December 31, 2099
Paints and Coatings
Full time/part time
Job requirements/Candidate profile
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry or a related scientific field with a minimum of 2 years working experience required.
- A Master's degree in Chemistry preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years experience formulating automotive paints for plastics (PP, TPO, ABS, PC, PC/ABS) for interior and/or exterior application.
- Experience formulating effect paints in a two component high solids binder system, polyester or acrylic, without the use of exempt solvents.
- Familiar with ISO 9100, AS9001, and AS9100 standards.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and execute a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, and/or schedule formats.
- Ability to organize and present data in graphical and tabular formats. Ability to interpret data and develop insights based on knowledge of chemical structures and reactivity, propose and test hypotheses, and draw conclusions.
- Must have the ability to recognize the primary colors.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Ability to keep detailed records.
- Ability to write reports summarizing data and work results in American English.
- Must be fluent in American English.
- Ability to apply concepts of algebra, basic statistics, and computer spreadsheet calculations.
- Minimally able to use MS Word, Excel, and Outlook at a proficient level.
- Minimally able to perform common tasks utilizing MS PowerPoint, Optiva and SAP.
- Prefer ability to utilize all indicated software at a proficient level.
- The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Regularly required to stand and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tool, or controls, walk and sit, lift objects up to 40 pounds.
- Wear a variety of personal protective equipment including safety glasses, safety shoes, chemical resistant gloves, laboratory coat, and/or positive and negative pressure respirators.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and color vision.
As a leading coatings and paints company AkzoNobel is proud to offer a competitive compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, dental and vision coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement and much more.
Employment at AkzoNobel is contingent upon the successful completion of both pre-employment background checks and drug screening. All candidates hired must be able to provide proper documentation of their eligibility to work in the US.
AkzoNobel is an E-Verify Employer.
AkzoNobel is an Equal Opportunity Employer.