Netherlands, South Holland, Sassenheim
Business unit: Corporate Development
AkzoNobel has a passion for paint. We’re experts in the proud craft of making paints and coatings, setting the standard in color and protection since 1792. Our world class portfolio of brands – including Dulux, International, Sikkens and Interpon – is trusted by customers around the globe. Headquartered in the Netherlands, we operate in over 80 countries and employ around 35,000 talented people who are passionate about delivering the high performance products and services our customers expect. For more information please visit www.akzonobel.com.
Drive new color investigations and modeling within a fast-moving global arena
AkzoNobel’s global success is based substantially on our forward-thinking reputation as a leader in color. This capability derives from the unique combination of aesthetics and technology practiced by our Color Technology team in the Netherlands. As such, this role represents a fascinating opportunity to participate in large global color research projects encompassing coatings, instruments, modeling and perception. Most importantly, your ideas and input will be welcomed and acted on, making this an exciting proposition for Science graduates with valuable experience of R&D projects.
Is this a challenge that matches your skills and ambitions as a highly analytical research specialist comfortable with processing complex data and interpreting results? Have you developed strong problem solving and mathematical modeling skills? Are you a good communicator, adept at presenting ideas and results concisely and effectively to different audiences? Above all, can you make a real difference within our dynamic, multinational and multicultural business environment?
If you offer all this and more we invite you to apply for the role of
The role and its responsibilities
This role is based at our large site in Sassenheim, the Netherlands. You will act as a valued and proactive member of our Color Technology team, investigating colorimetric technical challenges, analysis techniques, instruments, modeling and functional prototype tools. You work closely with researchers, internal and external technical software development teams, and external color instrument developers.
This requires you to:
- Perform testing including testing hardware and software prototypes, new instruments, instrument firmware and associated software;
- Deliver constructive feedback and prepare technical research reports, presenting findings to project leaders, senior scientists and technical managers;
- Ensure acceptance for hand-over to development teams;
- Improve existing colorimetric methods, optical models, color engines and techniques.
As an experienced and proactive researcher you are expected to propose initiatives and
generate new ideas and new research opportunities in colorimetry. This requires you to
monitor and keep up to date with internal and external developments in
colorimetry/instruments/digital algorithms, and all relevant research methods and
techniques in colorimetry. In doing so you:
- Apply data analytics principles to the available colorimetric data to identify trends, patterns and propose new models or algorithms;
- Help management and internal customers to understand the results and implications of research;
- Screen assigned patents, analyzing and evaluating your own and third party IP in the Color Technology area.
As an experienced and motivational specialist you coach, train and engage new team members and students.
March 13, 2019
Research, Development & Innovation
Full time/part time
Job requirements/Candidate profile
To apply for this position you must possess the following attributes:
- Master’s education, preferably in Color Science, (Applied) Physics, Applied Optics, Photonics or Opto-Electronics;
- Ideally you have industrial/academic R&D experience in color technology or relevant fields, including the handling, calibration and maintenance of color instruments and experimental prototype software;
- A proven affinity with image analysis techniques and/or handling complex colorimetric data;
- Good team player able to work under pressure within multicultural and cross-functional teams;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills including a high level of written and spoken English.
We offer a fascinating international environment that rewards your skills and enthusiasm. In addition to a good salary, you can expect excellent terms of employment including group insurance, 8% holiday allowance, travel allowance and an above industry standard number of vacation days. Training opportunities and internal networks enable valuable personal and professional development.
We welcome your online application, reference (180006O0). Please note that applications sent by mail will not be considered. If you have any question, please feel free to contact Minke van Asperen, Talent Resourcing Partner, phone +31 (0)88 0106789, option 2.
An employment screening may be part of the selection process.
Agency or sales calls are not appreciated