United States, Texas, Houston
Business unit: Paints and Coatings
AkzoNobel has a passion for paint. We’re experts in the proud craft of making paints and coatings, setting the standard in color and protection since 1792. Our world class portfolio of brands – including Dulux, International, Sikkens and Interpon – is trusted by customers around the globe. Headquartered in the Netherlands, we operate in over 80 countries and employ around 35,000 talented people who are passionate about delivering the high performance products and services our customers expect. For more information please visit www.akzonobel.com.
AkzoNobel has a passion for paint. We’re experts in the proud craft of making paints and coatings, setting the standard in color and protection since 1792. Our world class portfolio of brands – including Dulux, International, Sikkens and Interpon – is trusted by customers around the globe. Headquartered in the Netherlands, we operate in over 80 countries and employ around 35,000 talented people who are passionate about delivering the high performance products and services our customers expect.
In North America, 4,500 employees work at more than 50 locations to support the Performance Coatings and Specialty Chemicals Business Areas. Consistently ranked as a leader in sustainability, we are dedicated to energizing cities and communities while creating a protected, colorful world where life is improved by what we do.
Purpose of the Job
The role of a Technologist III is to support and direct activities in one or more of the following areas:
- Developing new products and technologies
- Testing/support of existing products, processes and coating systems
- Developing fundamental understanding of key coating attributes
Role Responsibilities Key Activities
- Manage the effective planning and day to day requirements for assigned projects and support activities.
- Understand drivers for work and translate to product and service requirements in relation to business needs.
- Design, carry-out, evaluate and interpret experiments under own direction.
- Effectively report results, conclusions and propose recommendations within agreed timescales using appropriate methods.
- Develop test methodology to achieve technical innovation within project/support requirements.
- Identify and exploit opportunities for technical innovation.
- Contribute toward Improvement Projects to effect changes as required.
- Demonstrate commitment and responsibility to integrity and ethics.
- Undertake additional activities as required, within the scope of the role
- Plan and conduct factory/pilot plant scale up as required
- Plan, conduct and evaluate trials (e.g. field/application, production processes, equipment) as required
- Prepare formulation/technology transfer packages e.g. into production environment as required
- Facilitate formulation/technology transfer to production as required.
- Demonstrate an understanding of standard products &/or technologies, including preparation and application recommendations in pertinent fields
- Manage analytical requests to meet customer / business requirements
- Be responsible for training, operation and improvement of instruments
- Demonstrate understanding of standard products and technologies, and application of analysis
- Communicate effectively with team members, other stakeholders and 3rd parties in line with company policy relating to confidentiality and code of conduct
- Actively develop and sustain professional network
- Communicate effectively with team members on items of process, policy etc. e.g. working conditions
- Provide effective leadership to team members in relation to their role e.g. development, motivation and contribution as required
- Provide effective management to team members in relation to their standards, documentation and achievement including poor performance management with support from Line Manager (where applicable)
- Participate in the induction of new starts (as required)
Quality and HSE:
- Understand and apply AkzoNobel, site and RD&I health & safety policies and rules at all times, including when at other AkzoNobel, supplier and customer sites
- Follow appropriate processes and maintain technical records to a high standard, meeting local quality standards
- Identify, report and implement areas for improvement in all aspects of technical activity
December 31, 2099
Paints and Coatings
Full time/part time
Job requirements/Candidate profile
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a science discipline with emphasis on chemistry, engineering or physics or related subjects.
- 3-5 years of paint formulation experience and paint manufacturing in a laboratory environment. Experience formulating epoxy and urethane coatings preferred.
- Ability to design and plan work, draw conclusions and make recommendations.
- Ability to use problem solving methodology across a range of situations.
- Ability to pass basic verbal/numerical/problem solving tests.
- Ability to produce written communication including reports and data.
- Ability to conduct appropriate technical work programs.
- Ability to use technical software.
Employment at AkzoNobel is contingent upon the successful completion of both a pre-employment background check and a drug screening. In some case, pre-employment physicals may also be required.
All candidates hired must be able to provide proper documentation of their eligibility to work in the US.
AkzoNobel is an E-Verify Employer.
AkzoNobel is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans (M/F/D/V).