United States, Tennessee, Nashville
Business unit: Finance, IM and GBS
AkzoNobel has a passion for paint. We’re experts in the proud craft of making paints and coatings, setting the standard in color and protection since 1792. Our world class portfolio of brands – including Dulux, International, Sikkens and Interpon – is trusted by customers around the globe. Headquartered in the Netherlands, we operate in over 80 countries and employ around 35,000 talented people who are passionate about delivering the high performance products and services our customers expect. For more information please visit www.akzonobel.com.
The accounting controller is a local finance professional within the operational model (liaising with all relevant stakeholders: Commercial and ISC navigators, FP&A, RAC, ACD and beyond) to meet the AN and operational goals for retained RTR, Finance and AN as a whole locally
The local accounting controller role has a pivotal role to ensure consistent high quality and timely group / business and statutory reporting for a set of relevant legal entities under supervision of the regional controller.
The local accounting controller comprises of 6 distinct areas of Accountability / Responsibility for the region:
- RTR process ownership and manage interactions with other processes and stakeholders
- Owning legal and reporting entities as will be assigned
- Accounting Leadership
- Business partnering for all relevant Accounting activities to relevant stakeholders
- Specific (BU / Region and / or) local accountabilities / responsibilities
- Ensure control and compliance as per defined framework
RTR process ownership (for – a set of – legal entities)
- Pro-actively constantly monitor the quality of the balance sheet and statement of income for the respective reporting entities in collaboration with the Business Navigators (Commercial and ISC), FP&A, Functional Controllers on global/regional/local level, RAC, GBS/Infosys etc.
- Accountable for the periodic month reporting (by local units) to the region / BU for the assigned legal entities to ensure quality of reporting
- Co- develop specific guidelines across company one set of minimum requirements for the balance sheet review to ensure that meets the requirements of the accounting controller and ACD FR.
- Ensure compliance with IFRS, webFEM, local and statutory and fiscal requirements for the respective legal entities
- Responsible as first point of local contact of the retained (finance) organization
Business partner stakeholder/ Continuous improvement
- Proactively inform the relevant local stakeholders on the outcome of the balance sheet review and indicate potential risk and opportunities on treatments, processes or interactions to ensure a BS and P&L with the proper level of quality.
- Responsible for raising IFRS business partnering challenges and liaise with the relevant parties to ensure the best suitable business solution whilst at all times adhere to IFRS and WebFEM
- Prioritize and (facilitate to) embed the change in close cooperation with the relevant stakeholders as part of the wider finance improvement plan
- Assist in initiating and implementing cross departmental improvements within the local finance (also the interaction with the other finops processes) and bring these to the attention of the Head of Finance Operations and Regional Accounting Controllers for worldwide implementation
Specific country responsibilities (BA other) Responsibilities may vary depending on the complexity of the assigned legal entities. In general the accounting controller may be:
- Accountable / Responsible for the review, signing and filing of the statutory reporting (statutory reporting, direct tax, indirect tax) of the relevant legal entities
- Accountable for the contact with experts (pension, tax, internal and external auditors) to ensure that the RAC obtains the accurate and complete information to produce in a timely manner the correct information for reporting and / or external parties
- Accountable for the sign off / review of the internal control related processes (CSAT, authorization matrix (entity and jv’s),system request) to ensure adherence to specific local legislation
Accountable for driving, monitoring and signing off of on treasury / insurance/ pension policies (FX policies, dividend process funding proposal, top ups, deficits, related entries)
- Independently resolve and seek resolution on local accounting issues by adjusting processes, providing feedback and requesting corrective actions with the regional / BU management layers.
- Advise stakeholders/counterparts locally (cross functional)
- Advise all (accounting) staff in the relevant legal entities
- Authority levels are aligned with the Delegation of Authority in the function as well as AkzoNobel
- (Local) Business navigators, Local ISC navigators, Local FP&A navigators
- Regional Accounting controller
- Corporate (control) departments (ACD FR/ Functional Control / Tax / Treasury)
- Internal audit, Internal control, External audit
December 31, 2099
Finance, IM and GBS
Full time/part time
Job requirements/Candidate profile
General- Accounting professional with at least 3+ years of relevant work experience within finance ( at least a significant part in accounting and reporting)
- A bachelors degree in Finance or Accounting (working toward CPA preferred)
- Hands on, proactive, able to work in a fast paced matrix organization, multitasking, strong requirement to connect with people of various cultures and building bridges.
- Capable of analyzing complex processes and issues under severe time pressure (from theory to practice and vice versa – strategy to operations) and bring solutions and suggestions to business teams for finance, accounting and the underlying processes and principlesClear communicator – proactively and effectively communication with finance and business leadership
Good analytical skills
In depth knowledge in financial accounting (accounting processes, IFRS , webFEM preferred)
Experience with ERP / HFM and merlin (or willing to learn)
Fluent in English, both verbal as well as in writing
As a leading coatings company AkzoNobel is proud to offer a competitive compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, dental and vision coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement and much more.
Employment at AkzoNobel is contingent upon the successful completion of both pre-employment background checks and drug screening. All candidates hired must be able to provide proper documentation of their eligibility to work in the US.
AkzoNobel is an E-Verify Employer.
AkzoNobel is an Equal Opportunity Employer.