India, Haryana, Gurgaon
Business unit: Legal
AkzoNobel has a passion for paint. We’re experts in the proud craft of making paints and coatings, setting the standard in color and protection since 1792. Our world class portfolio of brands – including Dulux, International, Sikkens and Interpon – is trusted by customers around the globe. Headquartered in the Netherlands, we operate in over 80 countries and employ around 35,000 talented people who are passionate about delivering the high performance products and services our customers expect. For more information please visit www.akzonobel.com.
Key Objectives/Principal Accountabilities
- Manage and provide legal services to the AkzoNobel businesses in India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh
- Drafting and hands on negotiation of a variety of commercial and other agreements in South Asia region.
- Provide support to specialist legal colleagues in Compliance and M & A, Environmental and Employment law on various matters.
- Set, implement and execute legal operational plan for the assigned business in line with ALG’s strategy and the strategy of the assigned business - Identify and assess legal and commercial risks, act upon identified deficiencies or opportunities for improvement
- Monitor, communicate and act on legal developments in India and the markets for the assigned businesses and jurisdictions
- Implement Legal Group strategy and standards
- Hire and direct outside counsel after approval
- Country Management – India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh
- Functional leaders (Tax, Finance, Insurance, HSE, Communication)
- Senior leadership of assigned business operating in India
- Legal Leadership team, Specialist lawyers, IP attorneys and Compliance counsels within ALG
The Sr. Commercial Counsel is an experienced, qualified legal professional with substantial knowledge of the assigned business and the legal environment it operates in. S/he handles matters individually (end-results are reviewed by a senior colleague at key decision points) with significant opportunity and exposure to the Company, and s/he interacts with the most senior business leadership. Responds to request for legal advice and analysis; offers proactive advice regularly and signals prospective legal risks.
The Sr. Commercial Counsel plays an essential role to safeguard the strategic objectives of the assigned business and to ensure a limited (legal) risk exposure by providing responsive legal advice.
May 16, 2019
Legal, IP & Compliance
Full time/part time
Job requirements/Candidate profile
- Legal master/academic
- 6 - 9 years relevant working experience at an international law firm or at in-house legal department.
- Extensive experience in drafting, reviewing and negotiating a wide range of commercial agreements and legal documents
- Excellent knowledge of Indian law; in particular contract law, employment laws, environment laws, legal metrology law, anti-trust law
- A thorough understanding of enterprise wide compliance management systems
- Solid dispute resolution experience, solid command of Anti-Trust principles
- Top level analytical, counselling, communication and interpersonal skills with high integrity and sound legal, ethical and commercial judgment
- Proven highly effective negotiator and facilitator
- Good communication skills both written and oral