United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Business unit: Paints and Coatings
AkzoNobel has a passion for paint. We’re experts in the proud craft of making paints and coatings, setting the standard in color and protection since 1792. Our world class portfolio of brands – including Dulux, International, Sikkens and Interpon – is trusted by customers around the globe. Headquartered in the Netherlands, we operate in over 80 countries and employ around 35,000 talented people who are passionate about delivering the high performance products and services our customers expect. For more information please visit www.akzonobel.com.
R&D Industrial Placement
1 Year placement starting July 2020
£15,840 per annum plus relocation allowance**
Where better to put your learning into practice and develop your functional expertise than as part of the team at AkzoNobel? We are more than just the leading global paints and coatings Company. We are a Business recognized the world over for being first with ideas and driving improvement.
At AkzoNobel, we believe we can only grow our business as fast as we grow our people. That’s why we’re committed to developing people.
We are a world leading supplier of coatings and inks for the protection and decoration of beverage, food, aerosol and general line cans, metal closures and collapsible tubes. We supply both global and customized technologies to our customers wherever their business is located. We turn our customers’ visions into reality.
At AkzoNobel Packaging Coatings we rely on our extensive experience in the food and beverage markets to introduce new technologies while minimizing risk to our customers.
The AkzoNobel Packaging Coatings Food R&D team in Birmingham is looking for an enthusiastic, self-motivated 12-month industrial placement student. The successful candidate must have achieved 300 UCAS points or equivalent and be on target to attain a minimum 2:1 degree or equivalent in Chemistry or a related area, with a strong background in synthesis. An interest in polymer chemistry is beneficial.
The successful candidate will be tasked with the synthesis, formulation and evaluation of food can coatings. The role will be predominantly lab based with some office work involved.
You will work alongside technical experts on projects that broaden your experience, give you the opportunity to work as part of a research team and enhance and develop your technical and team working skills. You will also gain greater understanding of subjects like polymerization chemistry and formulation science.
As a student on our Birmingham site, you will also join the ‘Your AkzoNobel’ community – an initiative set up to encourage networking and professional development for recent joiners to our global organization with activities and events locally, nationally and internationally.
Principal Tasks & Responsibilities:
· Synthesis and evaluation of polymeric resins and formulations for coatings.
· Development of a good working relationship with other chemists both within own department and with other departments.
· Recording of experimental information and data in laboratory notebooks to a high standard.
· Written and verbal reporting of results and progress as appropriate.
· Carry out activities to an acceptable level of quality and in accordance with department and site health and safety policies and procedures.
· Ability to analyze and interpret experimental data
· Knowledge of COSHH
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
· Enthusiasm and interest in investigating and solving technical challenges
· Strong attention to detail
· Competent with Microsoft Packages
· Hands on
· Proactive with a common-sense approach
So if you think you’ve got what it takes and want to develop your talents, we can’t wait to see you here at AkzoNobel. To apply please visit our website via the link. The first stage of the process will involve a telephone interview, followed by a final stage assessment centre held on 10th December in Birmingham.
* Please visit the FAQ section of our website for equivalencies in your country.
** Restrictions apply
October 28, 2019
Paints and Coatings
Full time/part time