Our strategic ambition is to deliver a world-beating innovation and product portfolio across all our markets. Our 4,000 scientists around the world work closely with customers to develop sustainable solutions for the challenges people face every day.
Recent investments in innovation worldwide
In Felling, UK, we've invested €12.6 million in a research and innovation hub. The facility will bring together more than 100 of the coatings industry’s leading scientists and technical experts.
In Shanghai, China, we inaugurated a new €6.5 million technology center. It is the company’s largest research facility in China for next generation paints, coatings and specialty chemicals.
In Strongsville, US, a $10 million research, development and innovation (RD&I) center will support several of the company's Performance Coatings businesses, including coil, extrusion and packaging coatings.
In Sweden, a €2.5 million technical center for wood coatings has opened.
Our Essential innovations
An additive for de-icing brine which prevents frost damage to roads, reducing the need for maintenance while making driving safer.
Inspirational decorating app which helps consumers see, share and virtually paint in their chosen colors – before anything is actually applied to the walls.
The first "big data" solution to accurately predict the performance of a coatings technology – before it has been applied.
provides the “bounce” in your shoe by crosslinking plastics and rubbers thanks to our organic peroxides.
Dulux Forest Breath
An interior paint sold in China and Hong Kong. Its anti-formaldehyde formulation helps purify the air and its anti-bacterial action protects against germs, providing dual protection for homes.
Our carbon credits program and Intersleek
We recently announced the issue of more than 126,000 carbon credits worth more than $500,000. Our award-winning program rewards ship owners who convert existing vessels from a biocidal antifouling to a premium, biocide-free advanced hull coating – such as AkzoNobel’s Intersleek – which offers fuel and CO2 savings of up to 6 percent.
An innovative, water-based anti-scuff coating with superior hardness and excellent clarity that helps furniture makers in China to meet both a shift in consumer preferences and stricter government standards.
UV clear coat technology
This ground-breaking technology enables vehicle body shops to cut their energy costs by up to 80 percent compared with traditional baking and provides a significant increase in productivity.
A biodegradable surfactant designed for outdoor cleaning products which successfully meets stringent US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) standards, without compromising on performance.
Safety in the marine industry will be improved after AkzoNobel joined forces with partners to develop a drone capable of remotely inspecting enclosed spaces and ballast water tanks using advanced virtual reality technology.
Did you know…
- One of our founding fathers was Alfred Nobel, the Swedish chemist, engineer, inventor, businessman and philanthropist, who bequeathed his fortune to establish the Nobel Prize. He personally held more than 350 patents.
- AkzoNobel helps your champagne cork “pop”? Our Expancel microspheres help to overcome some of the weaknesses of traditional cork.
- Our coatings help Formula 1 cars to go faster – racing teams have been able to enjoy direct performance gains from the small, but crucial, weight savings that our automotive coating technology can provide.
- We produce chlorine, an essential ingredient in the manufacture of thousands of everyday products, ranging from cosmetics to crop protection products.
- Our digital color technology help restorers of paintings to find exactly the right color to recreate old masterpieces as they would have originally looked.
- We created the world's first fully compostable and recyclable paper coating, EvCote, which is made from plant-based oils and recycled PET bottles. You might find it on your next bag of French fries!
AkzoNobel is regularly recognized for its major contributions to product innovation
|In the Netherlands, we won the Gouden Noot 2016 packaging innovation award for our innovative Flexa Creations Color Tester, a mini roller that helps consumers test color choices before they buy.||Our pioneering methodology for rewarding ship owners who use sustainable hull coatings was named Environmental Leader Product of the Year for 2016.||The company's slime-busting coating, Intersleek 1100SR, was named overall winner at the prestigious ICIS Innovation Awards in 2015.|
We have a target of 20 percent of our innovations providing distinct sustainability benefits for customers and their value chains by 2020.