The experts behind Operation Night Watch are hard at work discovering everything they can about Rembrandt’s most famous painting and what applications there might be to our modern life. Meet Sarah Holthuis, Partnership Manager at the Rijksmuseum.
1. Describe yourself in three words.
Dedicated, curious, positive.
2. What’s your favorite color and why?
Blue, it reminds me of the ocean and summer!
3. When you’re not working, how do you like to spend your time?
I love to experiment in the kitchen and enjoy long night dinners with friends and family.
4. Tell us one thing you’re excited for in 2021.
The re-opening of the museums, when I will be able to see my colleagues again. And to hug my friends and family!
5. What’s your most prized possession?
My family and friends.
6. What are your hidden talents?
Seeing opportunities and, of course, my cooking skills!
7. What’s your role at the Rijksmuseum?
I’m responsible for the relationship with the corporate partners of the Rijksmuseum.
8. And what do you do as part of the Operation Night Watch team?
For Operation Night Watch, I’m responsible for our main partner AkzoNobel. Rijksmuseum researchers, curators and restorers work closely together on the project in conjunction with color specialists from AkzoNobel.
9. Then you are the link between the two organizations?
Yes, I make sure that the experts on both sides find each other to realize optimal results.
10. How would you describe The Night Watch in one word?
11. What do you enjoy most about your job?
A lot of things! It’s a privilege to work for the Rijksmuseum, to make it possible for everyone to enjoy the finest artworks and stories of the past and the present day. I enjoy working with a wide variety of partners.
12. What does a partnership such as this one with AkzoNobel bring to the museum?
Together with our partners, we can open up the world of art and history for all audiences.
13. In your opinion, what would Rembrandt think of Operation Night Watch?
It would probably be unbelievable for him to see such a team and technologies dedicated to the study of his masterpiece.
14. What motivates you the most?
My passion for art and my desire of learning new things.
How do you go about restoring one of the world’s most famous paintings?
We asked some of the experts involved in Operation Night Watch to explain what will happen now our historic partnership with the Rijksmuseum is underway.