The State Historical Museum—built between 1874 and 1881 and opened by Tsar Alexander III in 1894—was restored recently after the authorities in Moscow decided that the building needed a bit of a facelift.
The imposing red brick structure—with its ornate turrets, pinnacles and saw-tooth cornices—is a prime example of Russian architecture and strict requirements were laid down regarding the type of coating system used when it was decided that the exterior walls should be repainted.
Not only did the products used have to be of the highest quality, but they also had to harmonize with the architecture and history of the building.
The ZAO Akzo Nobel Dekor (Moscow) business won the prestigious contract, withthe paints used for the project coming from the company’s Nordsjö factory.
The museum, which is lavishly decorated inside, charts the development of Russian civilization and is the country’s primary repository for artifacts of Russia’s past.
(Released: January 12, 2004)