The first steel bells ever to be used in Australia have finally been given a new protective coating thanks to Akzo Nobel.
Installed in the tower of St Jude’s Church, Randwick, New South Wales, in 1865, the eight steel bells were taken down in November 2000 because corrosion had affected the tone, causing them to ring flat.
But following abrasive blast cleaning and zinc metallization, each bell was coated with products supplied by International Protective Coatings—Interthane® 990 and Intercure® 200—the first time they had been coated since being cast in Sheffield, UK, in the early 1860s.
Six of the smaller bells have now been re-hung at the Monastery of Holy Transfiguration in Bombala, New South Wales. The seventh and tenor bells will be kept at St Jude’s and will be placed in a memorial garden in the cemetery.
(Released: January 16, 2003)